front wheel brakes, 2t oil reservoir & 250F

For non German-speakers. We will try to discuss in your language here, preferably in English. Guest posts welcome.

Moderator: Moderatoren

front wheel brakes, 2t oil reservoir & 250F

Beitragvon madmog » 6. März 2015 23:07

Hi,

On the early ETZ250, was the drum brake front wheel interchangeable with the rear wheel? Eg If you carried one spare wheel (Eg on a Sidecare setup) could it be fitted equally on front or rear?

Also how much better is the disk brake than the drum brake?

2nd question. I'm reinstating the oil pump setup that a previous owner had removed. The oil tank has some kind of insoluble fine grit or dust inside that I'm unable to completely remove. Perhaps it's rust but it's black. I've tried oxalic acid and many clean-outs with white spirit but I still get a black finger when I poke through the filler or viewing glass hole. I think that non of the orifices are at the lowest point, stuff is getting trapped.

Any tips to get this stuff out? I'm thinking of sealing the oil tank with a fuel tank sealant after in case it's corrosion but wouldn't expect corrosion in a vessel that hold 2 stroke oil.

Finally, I'm making a loose replica of an ETZ250F I already have some side panniers - one fat and one thin. I'm thinking of recreating a mirror-image of the fat one for the other side by making it myself in fibreglass. Was there ever a police bike with double fat panniers or was it only two thin or one fat one thin?

Thanks

Google translate below

Hallo,

Am frühen ETZ250 war die Trommelbremse Vorderrad austauschbar mit dem Hinterrad? ZB Wenn Sie eine durch Reserverad (zB auf einem Sidecare Setup) kann es gleichmäßig auf Vorder- oder Rückseite montiert werden?

Auch, wie viel besser ist die Scheibenbremse als die Trommelbremse?

2. Frage. Ich bin die Wiederherstellung der Ölpumpe Setup, das ein Vorbesitzer entfernt hatte. Der Öltank hat eine Art von unlöslichen Feinkorn oder Staub im Inneren, dass ich nicht in der Lage, um vollständig zu entfernen. Vielleicht ist es Rost, aber es ist schwarz. Ich habe Oxalsäure und viele sauber-outs mit Testbenzin versucht, aber ich bekomme immer noch eine schwarze Finger, wenn ich stecken durch den Füllstoff oder Schauglas Loch. Ich denke, dass nicht der Öffnungen sind an der tiefsten Stelle, Zeug ist eingeklemmt.

Irgendwelche Tipps, dieses Zeug raus? Ich denke an Abdichtung der Öltank mit einem Kraftstofftank Dichtmittel nach, falls es ist korrosions aber würde nicht erwarten, Korrosion in einem Schiff, das 2-Takt-Öl halten.

Schließlich mache ich einen losen Nachbildung eines ETZ250F Ich habe bereits einige Seitenkoffer - ein Fett und ein dünn. Ich denke an Neuerstellung eine spiegelbildliche des Fettes eine für die andere Seite, indem sie mich in Fiberglas. Gab es jemals einen Polizei-Bike mit Doppel Fett Packtaschen oder war es nur zwei dünne oder ein Fett eine dünn?

Fuhrpark: MZ ETZ250; Vespa P200; LML Star
madmog

Re: front wheel brakes, 2t oil reservoir & 250F

Beitragvon beres » 6. März 2015 23:28

Hi madmog,

I'm sorry to tell you that the wheels aren't interchangeable. The Disk brake is a lot more powerful and easier to dose. I don't want to miss the disk brake in todays traffic.

I have cleaned a tank with the residues of 1:25 mix 30 yo with caustic soda (appr. 4%). It took several days with occasionally shaking. Be extremely carful handling this and wear protective glasses. Paint is also ruined fast, so protection is needed there also. After removing of that nasty stuff I cleaned the tank with oxalic acid to remove the rust.

Good luck
Gruß

Bernd

Fuhrpark: MZ ETZ 250 PSW 1987, Honda Transalp 1993, Yamaha SR 500 1981, Transwasp 1997
beres

Bilder: 4

Beitragvon Martin H. » 7. März 2015 12:28

madmog hat geschrieben:Finally, I'm making a loose replica of an ETZ250F I already have some side panniers - one fat and one thin. I'm thinking of recreating a mirror-image of the fat one for the other side by making it myself in fibreglass. Was there ever a police bike with double fat panniers or was it only two thin or one fat one thin?

Thanks

Google translate below

Schließlich mache ich einen losen Nachbildung eines ETZ250F Ich habe bereits einige Seitenkoffer - ein Fett und ein dünn. Ich denke an Neuerstellung eine spiegelbildliche des Fettes eine für die andere Seite, indem sie mich in Fiberglas. Gab es jemals einen Polizei-Bike mit Doppel Fett Packtaschen oder war es nur zwei dünne oder ein Fett eine dünn?

I´m not completely sure, but it looks as if there existed two thin ones (Nr. 1 + 15 in the drawing), but also a fat one for special stuff (Nr. 10)...
http://www.miraculis.de/aw/mz/text/etz250fe/223.gif
("Ersatzteilliste für das MZ-Motorrad ETZ 250 F" (spare parts list) from www.miraculis.de in English and German).
Liste der großen TS

Namenlos

Jeder hat ein Recht auf eine eigene Meinung, aber niemand hat ein Recht auf eigene Fakten. (Thomas Laschyk)

Mitglied der FBF

Fuhrpark: Silverstar
ES 250/2-Gespann
TS 250/1
GasGas TXT 200
Martin H.

------ Titel -------
Heiligenstadt 2009/2011 Organisator,
2015 Helfer
FBF-Papparazzo

Artikel: 7
Bilder: 26

Beitragvon madmog » 8. März 2015 22:33

Thanks all, as far as I can tell there was a fat pannier and a thin one with a double saddle or two thin ones with a radio box in place of the passenger seat Ie a single saddle.

I think I will try to replicate the fat right pannier as a mirror image for the left side in fibreglass since my ETZ is not a genuine 250F.

With the sidecars, is the spare wheel sometimes seen on the back a rear wheel since that's has the 2 in 3 chance of being where a puncture would be?

Fuhrpark: MZ ETZ250; Vespa P200; LML Star
madmog

Beitragvon Martin H. » 9. März 2015 12:15

madmog hat geschrieben:With the sidecars, is the spare wheel sometimes seen on the back a rear wheel since that's has the 2 in 3 chance of being where a puncture would be?

Not so easy to answer; because the spare wheel was not originally a part of the sidecars, but it was attached by the owner of the sidecar.
I would say it makes the most sense to use the wheel which is used 2 times in the sidecar; the sidecar wheel could be as well a front wheel as a rear wheel:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=70202
Liste der großen TS

Namenlos

Jeder hat ein Recht auf eine eigene Meinung, aber niemand hat ein Recht auf eigene Fakten. (Thomas Laschyk)

Mitglied der FBF

Fuhrpark: Silverstar
ES 250/2-Gespann
TS 250/1
GasGas TXT 200
Martin H.

------ Titel -------
Heiligenstadt 2009/2011 Organisator,
2015 Helfer
FBF-Papparazzo

Artikel: 7
Bilder: 26